10 January 2011

Sad news on Joss Lynam

After a short illness Joss Lynam passed away this morning in a Dublin hospital. Joss was one of Irlands' most renowned mountaineers, author of a number of books and edited Irish Mountain Log for many years. 
This is sad news. I had the pleasure of meeting Joss and his lovely wife Nora once a few years back. I was accompanying Gerry and Paul who were meeting them in their house in preparation for their India trip. Joss had participated in his first international climbing expedition to India in the 1940s and gave the two lads recommendations on the the area they were planning to travel to. 
Tireless he showed us old pictures and maps and books, giving Gerry and Paul very valuable recommendations and information. I especially took to Nora, his wife, as we were chatting about her own experiences in India. She is a coeliac just like me and she was encouraging me not to fear the Indian food. We had a wonderful evening and the two made us feel very welcome in their house. Our thoughts are with the family. May Joss rest in peace. 

No comments: