10 July 2008

Leaving Ireland

Today was my last day in Ireland - at least for the time being. Saying good bye wasn't easy and the country with the friends, I was lucky enough to find there, will always be a part of me. Over 5 years have left their mark and the time has changed me. At least I think I have shed off a few German habits and adapted a few Irish ones!
And even though I know I'll be back, leaving is hard. My friends at work gave me great last evening in Dublin, so thank you very much! I have the pictures to proove we had a good time. We started with Japanese food in Yamamori, continued with fancy cocktails in Venue and finished with a lot of other stuff in Kehoes. I believe there were a few sore heads behind the desks in Vico the next day!

Kieran, Toni, Me, Aine, Amelie, Tatiana & Joey


Kieran's got a new favourite food

No good night out without Baby Guiness



My bags this morning weigh a ton. I am worried on the way to the airport. So when queuing up at the ticket desk, I choose the one with a guy checking in the passengers and practise my friendliest smile. There has to be an advantage for being a woman! I need all of those bags on the plane, I am prepared to pay for the extra weight, even if it hurts. The scale for suitcase and backpack sums up to 30kg, way over the allowance. I am also not telling him that I have a third piece of hand luggage, which is waiting for me with Aine at the cafe. So I smile, 'Good morning, how are you today'. I reckon, if he is not playing ball, I can always start crying, this wouldn't be too difficult today anyway.
Your man takes a good look at me, at the scale and again at me... Did I just hear this right? 'Have a good flight, thank you, here's your boarding pass, Ms Guenther.' I am delighted! Not a word about the donkey loads of luggage, not an extra Euro charged. Germanwings is officially my new favourite airline! After a celebration coffee I have to say good bye to Aine. Quick, no fuss, otherwise there'll be tears. And so I make my way through security to the gate.

Dublin Airport is in full swing today. The plane is delayed coming in. Thanks to the Irish Air traffic control, who is slow fixing a broken radar. When the plane arrives, it is parked at the wrong gate. Two queues are forming - the one with the passengers who stick to the gate the board announces (like me), the other with the people who think they are smart waiting at the gate where the plane is parked. The airport personell is confused and equals headless chickens. They are arguing with each other.

It starts raining, so naturally the airport staff sticks to the original gate and makes us all walk to the plane across the runway parked at the other gate. After the boarding the waiting starts. We wait and wait. The pilot comes on loadspeaker. Two passengers are missing, even with the extra time they seem to be unable to find the plane. They are unloading their luggage now. Patience please. 15 minutes later a very sheepish couple arrives and makes its way to the last two free seats. The rest of plane gives them looks. Their bags are being loaded on the plane again.

And we wait a little more. And more. Finally the pilot remembers us. Well, apparently Dublin is in a chaotic state today. They just found a load of suitcases left somewhere else at the airport by baggage control and they belong to us! The stuff is on the way and will be loaded shortly. Lots of eye rolling and laughter inside the plane! An hour and half after the scheduled departure we finally leave and in the late afternoon I meet my brother in Cologne. Now at home in Germany, I can't wait for India!

No comments: