Paul & Kevin
However my fellow country men are something else I must say. They make me want to give up my German passport! We are certainly famous for putting our towels down and reserving the chairs at the pool at 5am in the morning, so no one else would snap them up. Package-holiday-makers-mentality you might think, climbers are different. And they are, but only when it comes to the means of reserving. They reserve the routes by leaving in the rope and/or quickdraws. They might be climbing at a totally different place in the crag, but no THIS route is theirs, for no one else to touch, even though they don't go near it for hours. Who cares that there are tons of other people at the crag desperately trying to find a free route. They don't give a toss. I felt embarrased. What a behavoir, shame on all those German climbers, go to the pool!!! Arco is lovely, but we wont be going back there during bank holidays.
Paul & Peter
Our next trip took us to my old home town Bamberg, where I lived for 6 years to study. This was my first time back since I left in 2002 and I must say, not much changed. It is still a nice place. Paul had been keen for a while to get his hands on the Frankenjura rock , he wasn't to be disappointed. We explored the climbing areas around Bamberg, drove through love wooded areas and pretty little villages. I never noticed while I lived there, how lovely the area actually is. No problems with masses of climbers there, even though it was busy at the crags as well. We discoverd also that it might be usefull to own a clip stick. The first bolts are situated VERY far of the ground, usuakky where in Austria you would find the second or third bolt. No good for me and my climbing nerves. I hate run outs and unprotected moves. Thank god Paul has more courage and is pretty bold. We got lots done and we even had the time to meet my friends Ina and Alex in town for a glass of wine. Even though we had stayed in touch ever since I left, I hadn't seen them in 7 years. Time seems to fly!
Frankenjura
The climbing grades are very stiff. So my choice was very limited. Even the grades that I feel comfortable with were quite hard. Two climbs and my arms were dead and pumped as a lot of the stuff is overhanging. Paul was going strong, ticking of his goal of climbing a few 7a's which he did very well. My birthday fel within the holiday and I got the best present ever from Paul, as we got engaged. After that occasion I didn't care anymore what I could do in Finale or not. I was just happy!
On our way back we took some time to see our friends Jenny and Nicola in Descezano and visited Peter in Fondo, before we drove back to Innsbruck.
Paul & Peter in rainy Fondo
Driving back to Austria via Alto Adige
No comments:
Post a Comment